Court House in Center
of Town Square in Eutaw

 

Eutaw Topics

Cemeteries

Town Square Map

Town Square Lot Owners

Plantations & Landmarks

Snedecor's Directory

First Settlers

Voter Precincts

Overview

1. Havana

2. New Prospect

3. Five Mile

4. Greensboro

5. Newbern

6. Hollow Square

7. German Creek

8. Forkland

9. Garret's Shop

10. Eutaw

11. Springfield

12. Knoxville

13. Union

14. Pleasant Ridge

15. Mount Hebron

16. Clinton

17. Boligee

Mantua

Eutaw

Eutaw was established as the County Seat for Greene County in 1838 moving from the old one, Erie. It was named for the Revolutionary War Battle of Eutaw Springs in South Carolina and was incorporated as a city in 1841.

According to Snedecor's 1855 Directory, Eutaw was "built on an elevated and healthy location; has about 1,200 inhabitants, a handsome Court House surrounded by a beautiful square, a substantial Jail, four Dry Goods, one Clothing, three Drug, one Confectionary, one Book and several Grocery Stores; three Hotels and several Boarding Houses; two Carriage and one Harness Manufactory; two Presbyterian, one Episcopal, one Baptist and one Methodist Church; one Female Seminary and two Male Academies, and one Masonic and one Odd Fellow's Lodge. Two Newspapers are published here "The Alabama Whig," (political,) and "Independent Observer," (Neutral.)"

 

Historical Maps of Greene County - ADAH