PicoSearch

  Help

 

 

Masonic Temple

 

Clinton Topics

Cemeteries

First Settlers

Plantations & Landmarks

Snedecor's Directory

Voter Precincts

Overview

1. Havana

2. New Prospect

3. Five Mile

4. Greensboro

5. Newbern

6. Hollow Square

7. German Creek

8. Forkland

9. Garret's Shop

10. Eutaw

11. Springfield

12. Knoxville

13. Union

14. Pleasant Ridge

15. Mount Hebron

16. Clinton

17. Boligee

Mantua

Clinton

Plantations & Landmarks

 

 

Carpenter Twin Oaks Plantation

CA 1853 Also known as Captain Nathan Carpenter house.

Take exit 40 from Interstate 20/59 and go West on Highway 14 for 3.5 miles.  The plantation is on the right surrounded by a white board fence.

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Carpenter-Rudd House

 

Now a Bed and Breakfast

 

Clinton Baptist Church (1857)

 

This church was organized in 1838 as Concord Baptist Church, located nearby in Trussells Creek. The first minister was Rev. William Manning. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. Moses Buttler, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Childs, Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Keith, Mr. John Richardson, Miss Elizabeth Tutt, and Mr. and Mrs. W. O. Williams. After seven years the name was changed to Clinton Baptist Church to reflect the location in the community. The church membership grew considerably in the late 1840's and 1850's. This growth along with frequent flooding of Trussells Creek led the congregation to erect a new building. (From Historical Marker located at the Church)

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Concord/Clinton Baptist Church

Present day church

ca 1994 before restoration

Ebenezer Presbyterian Church

(1828 - present) This historic Greek Revival style church was organized in 1828 and still has its original pews. The church stood empty for 77 years when the Greene County Historic Society acquired the building in 1994 and then subsequently leased the church to the First Baptist Church of Clinton in 2003.

 

All records for this church are in the Historical Foundation, Montreat, N.C.

 

Photograph of Galley

Photograph of Interior

Photograph in 1994 before restoration

 

King's Store

 

More on the King's Store

 

 

 

Masonic Temple

 

Data Card

Engineering Sheet

Photograph of Exterior

Photograph of Eatmans Store

 

Clinton Post Office

 

 

 

W. H. Pippen Plantation and Manor House (1850)

Located between Eutaw and Clinton. According to the Greene County Democrat, this house had the first tin gutters used in Greene County.

 

Sources:

The Library of Congress, Prints and Photograph Division, Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey

 

Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage

 

Scott Smith's Clinton, Greene County, Alabama -- Excellent resource for all things Clinton.